No subject

Mon Mar 29 20:06:56 UTC 2010

specification is more stringent than the open source hardware
community would prefer as a legal vehicle. Already we see businesses
like Makerbot Industries licensing their content under CC-BY 3.0 and
in some cases GPL, BSD, etc., deeper in the internal RepRap community.
In this instance, there are no patents involved. But it would be easy
to imagine a scenario where patents were involved from the onset. The
proliferation of open source hardware in the commercial markets is
really interesting, and IMHO worth investigating whether or not it
would be possible. Yes, I understand that this is *not* the intent of
the research non-assertion pledge currently on the CC wiki.

In light of these ideas, and the recent "Opening Hardware" workshop in
NYC, I was wondering if anyone has comments, thoughts and advice to
share? Thank you! I also have many links to dump if anyone is
interested in the topology of these communities at the moment, and
what various projects are using for licenses, etc.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

--