[oshug] TI Chronos eZ430.

Andrew Back arback at computer.org
Thu Aug 18 10:16:55 UTC 2011

On 18 August 2011 10:41, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 10:37, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18 August 2011 10:30, Martin Ellis <ellism88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was trying to work out what the different version were.
>>> Is there an advantage in certain frequencies?
>>
>> there are 3 variants, one for the US, one for europe & one global,
>> based on permitted frequency range use, the global one cant do certain
>> things if I remember right (its covered on the Ti wiki)
>

> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/EZ430-Chronos?DCMP=Chronos&HQS=Other+OT+chronoswiki

Seems to just suggest that you might not get as good range with 433MHz
due to it requiring a larger antenna. Also appears that you can
software configure the 868 watch for 915 and vice-versa.

I ordered the 868MHz variant as this is the frequency used by the
RFM12B modules that come with JeeNodes. I have one of these waiting to
be assembled, and also a spare module to use with a Nanode, which is
also waiting to be assembled... Hoping that they can be made to play
if only via on-off keying and at low bitrates.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. Amusing that someone commented on the wiki that it'd be nice it if
had GPS. At under $50 be nice if it had an OMAP processor and booted
Linux too!