[oshug] Open (Source?) Hardware.

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Fri Aug 19 07:50:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 07:35 +0100, Andrew Back wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some of you may also have been following the debate regarding open
> hardware vs. open source hardware on the Open Hardware Summit lists
> and/or various others. The OHS updates list archives are, for some
> reason, private, but Bryan Bishop has kindly been forwarding to Open
> Manufacturing. See:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/msg/c9e1cd72d153a88e?hl=en&
>
> I have personally had some trouble with this debate in the past, and
> whilst we ended up being OSHUG and not OHUG, I don't find the argument
> that Open Hardware is, e.g. just a device with documented registers,
> entirely convincing. Inasmuch as it may have once meant this, but it
> has now come to be generally accepted that it is quite something else.
>
> I do agree with a lot of what Bruce Perens has to say... This is not
> to say that I think we should drop the "S". I've not completely made
> my mind up, and with regards to what we are called I don't think it
> matters _that_ much. Bruce does make a good case, though, and I'm
> definitely with him on this being a movement and the importance of it
> being " a lot of folks going in approximately the same direction".
> Which is to say that we don't all have to agree on everything. It
> would be a shame if this ended up being another Free Software vs. Open
> Source type split, though.
>
> I'm in interested as to what other folks think...

Hi Andrew,

Keep it as OSHUG. It is important to be explicit that the source is
open.

>From a "neophyte" perspective, you have the advantage that OSHUG can be
pronounced (o-shug) more easily than OHUG. Particularly after a few
beers, when it would become o-shug anyway :)

In any case, changing a name that has already gained some "market"
credibility is a bad idea. You'll spend the next 5 years answering
questions about what the connection between OSHUG and OHUG is. There are
far better ways for you to spend your time!

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--
Tel:      +44 (1590) 610184