[oshug] sourcing ADK boards

Paul Downey paul.downey at whatfettle.com
Sat Jun 25 08:23:52 UTC 2011

> Interesting question that caused me to Google around a bit.
> Looks like the question should include "at a reasonable price"

Indeed! We joked that there must be a silk-screen layer for each
colour in the Google logo, but I don't think that's the case.

Nigel's points about the unusual USB interface and the economics of a
small number of Androids with the latest version sounds most likely.

I'd imagine the size of market will change, so was puzzled why we're
not seeing a flood of cheap clones.

> I am thinking that a whole OSHUG session is needed for this, including input
> from someone who's created a ADK setup with alternative hardware at a
> reasonable cost.  Do we know anyone?

heh, I asked this question in preparation for talking to Android
people at Google about the ADK on behalf of OSHUG, and our proposed
OSHcamp in October. I'll report back on both as soon as I know more!

--
Paul (psd)
http://blog.whatfettle.com