[oshug] [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: Open hardware anemometer

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Sat Jun 25 17:18:32 UTC 2011

> From: *christopher west*

I've decided to design
> my own  PCB from scratch. I'm a electronic engineer by trade so this
> shouldn't cause to many headaches but if this is too difficult I will
> consider using an Arduino.

Have you considered using pcb and gschem for the electronics?  There's
a supportive list and good ways to get library schematic symbols and pcb footprints
besides making your own.

if you have any pointers I would
> be very great full.
>
> Regards,
> Chris West

great full. --> grateful.

Have you done much market research on the commercial competition?  There are plenty of
weather stations proven and working, so all you can hope for is a cost reduction,
and it might be tough to beat standard prices as they've been evolving for so long.
But, if you think prices are easy to beat, that's a good reason for open hardware.

The functions of a weather station barely make a microcontroller breathe hard,
so I immediately think, "What else could you add in the microcontroller part
to make a weather station better?", and it strikes me you should use a higher level
language than C for the code, and so users can adapt their stations -- use them
as development platforms.  Then you have a wider market -- scientists start
to be interested, tinkerers of course, and developers of instrumentation setups.
Otherwise your market is just other EE/CS types, (if they like C).

What I like is python-on-a-chip, running on micros like
STM32 or MC13224v.  See  http://www.redwirellc.com/store/node/1
http://mc1322x.devl.org/
http://www.futurlec.com/ET-STM32_Stamp.shtml

The STM32 stamp board can run elua, a version of lua:

http://www.eluaproject.net/

That's another high level language that some say is good for rapid development. I've not tried it yet,
but it looks like time.

John Griessen