[oshug] The Parallella project

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Tue Oct 2 14:24:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 19:30 +0100, Alan Wood wrote:
> Wow this is an interesting and very cool kickstarter project.
>
> I am a little puzzled though that there are not any good languages for
> Parallel/concurrent development in their open source suite or even
> listed, I would expect to see something like XC (C extensions for
> concurrency) at a low level and maybe OCCAM/Go or Erlang at a higher
> level, surely this is crucial for success, the hardware is only a
> small part of the story (I know this from my own work).

Hi Al,

XC and Occam are very much for a transputer/XMOS model of computation.
Not clear they apply to an Epiphany architecture.

But other parallel languages sound like a good idea. Omer Kilic is the
local Erlang expert. Go should not be difficult, given we already have a
GNU back-end.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--