[oshug] Parallella: spare chips

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Wed Oct 31 16:08:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 15:45 +0000, Omer Kilic wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On (30/10/2012 14:53), Jason Flynn G7OCD wrote:
> > On 30/10/2012 08:25, Andrew Back wrote:
> >> The Adapteva website says these are "324-ball 15x15mm flip-chip BGA"
> >> [1] but doesn't mention the pitch? Perhaps it's implicit — my
> >> knowledge of BGA devices goes as far as appreciating that they are
> >> difficult for hobbyists to work with.
> >
> > I wouldn't be put off this. There are many back-street
> > workshops that routinely remove, re-ball and resolder
> > BGAs on laptop motherboards, without damaging any of
> > the adjacent devices. Worst case, you could employ one
> > of these.
>
> You can also watch people on Youtube fixing their Xbox problems by
> 'reflowing' chips using tea candles, that seems to work too :)
>
> As you've mentioned, these are 'back-street' methods and I don't know
> about you but worrying about whether my BGA has been reflowed properly
> or not is the last thing I want while bringing up a complex design.
>
> That said, I could get access to our SMT lab at the University which has
> the necessary equipment (sans a paste station but we can improvise) to
> deal with this if anyone wanted to go ahead with this. We could have
> another OSHUG trip to Canterbury for some SMT fun and beer!

Hi Omer,

That certainly opens up some possibilities. OSHUG in Canterbury sounds
fun - I missed the last one.

I spoke to Adapteva yesterday, and these are 0.8mm BGA chips. All the
design stuff should become available in coming weeks. They intend doing
the board design fully in the open.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--