[oshug] Arduino help needed

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Mon Jul 8 15:34:48 UTC 2013

On 05/07/13 08:04, Paul Tanner wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I cheated and used node.js with a module called node-serial.  I
> discovered that you need to disconnect the serial port from the console
> before you can use it (edits to /etc/inittab and /boot/cmdline.txt).  I
> imagine you'd need to do this in a python environment too.  minicom was
> very useful for prodding the serial device to make sure it was working
> before I pointed my program at it.
>
> Regards, Paul

Hi Paul, Omer, Andrew,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was all much easier than I thought, once I realized that the USB
serial terminal is /dev/tty/ACM<n>, not /dev/tty/USB<n> when using
Arduino Uno.

It is trivial to use stty to set the line parameters and implement a
simple C++ class to access the serial line on the host. Code on GitHub at:

   https://github.com/embecosm/esp9-arduino-facetracker

I don't know if the face tracker works yet - the servos are lost in the
post. But at least the Uno is getting some sort of serial data.

Best wishes,

Jeremy