[oshug] ChipHack: Introduction to FPGA Programming, London, 20 & 21 April 2013

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Wed Mar 13 13:46:39 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Embecosm is pleased to announce Chip Hack (chiphack.org), a two day
hands-on workshop on programming FPGAs aimed at complete beginners.

Led by a team of experienced FPGA designers, and working with the
DE0-nano board, we'll start with simple hardware designs to control
LED's counters and push buttons and move on to a UART transmitter and
(for the more ambitious) receiver.

The event coincides with Hardware Freedom Day (http://www.hfday.org) and
we'll be using open source designs throughout the weekend. Our final
session will show how to bring up a complete ready-made OpenRISC
system-on-chip, and show where you can look under the hood to learn
more.

No HDL or FPGA programming experience is required, but you will need to
have some programming experience and an understanding of basic digital
electronics.

The workshop is sponsored by Embecosm, and will run at the Centre for
Creative Collaboration in Acton Street, London.

We are particularly keen to encourage school teachers to get involved,
so we giving away a DE0-nano kit to the first 5 who apply. If you are a
teacher and want to step up from Raspberry Pi, this is the workshop for
you.

Numbers are limited, so book early at chiphack.org

Look forward to seeing you there,

Jeremy