[oshug] Help - Newbie

Plug Gulp plug.gulp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 14:05:07 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:34:49 +0000
> From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com>

<snip>

> I encourage you to use OpenCores, and particularly the OpenRISC
> processor core, which is well supported. I suggest you follow Sven-?ke
> Andersson's blog, which is a comprehensive guide to building OpenRISC
> for complete newbies from a very experienced engineer.
> http://www.rte.se/blog/blogg-modesty-corex/openrisc-1200-soft-processor.

Thank you for the link!

> You are pushing your luck on the specs. You'll be hard pressed to get
> 800MHz on anything purely in FPGA, particularly low-end FPGA's. I think
> you can get around 100MHz with the latest OpenRISC implementations.

Will the platform based on OpenRISC be suitable for a Linux system
with DirectFB and a video framework e.g. GStreamer?

> As far as I'm aware not all the IPs you want have open source
> implementations, but that is a better question to ask on the OpenCores
> mailing list.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will ping the community there.

> If you want more, you'll need to look at using a proprietary processor
> on something like a ZedBoard (Xilinx FGPA alongside a dual-core 660MHz
> ARM). But then you are looking at ?300, and much more restricted open
> source support on the hardware side.
>
> The OpenRISC community portal is at
> http://opencores.org/or1k/OR1K:Community_portal, and there is an active
> IRC group on channel #openrisc at freenode.net.
>
> It is possible to run OpenRISC on a DE0-nano, which is just under ?60.
> However something a little larger will give you more flexibility - there
> are boards for around ?150 that are suitable.
>
> We'll be showing how to bring up an OpenRISC SoC on a DE0-nano at Chip
> Hack (www.chiphack.org). That's now full, but it will be videoed, so
> you'll be able to see it online (on the Embecosm YouTube channel) in
> late April.

I will be eagerly waiting for the videos once the actual event is
finished on the 21st of April.

Thank you once again for your help.

Warm regards,

~Plug