[oshug] Free MIPS-based boards.

Graham Whaley graham.whaley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:43:50 UTC 2014

On 28 August 2014 21:34, Drew Fustini <pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldn't tell from story, but do you know if the board is Open
> Source Hardware?
>
> BTW, it would be awesome if Imagination upstreamed drivers for the
> PowerVR SGX.  I could see the pro-open-source arguement bearing more
> weight internally when it is their own board.  My understanding of
> the PowerVR SGX GPU in TI Sitara (BeagleBone Black) is that it is
> Imagination's choice whether or not to provide open source drivers.
> I'm not aware of any Open Source Hardware single board computer that
> has Open Source mainline Linux graphics drivers other than the new
> MinnowBoard MAX.
>
> thanks,
> drew
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Andrew Back <arback at computer.org> wrote:
>> Free Pi-esque MIPS-based boards available to those with $IDEAS:
>>
>>   http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr-developers/new-mips-creator-ci20-development-board-for-linux-and-android-debuts
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrew
(late reply - been away)

Hi! Hey, that'll be me then ... me and my group have been somewhat
instrumental in getting that board together and out. I'm now looking
through the *huge* volume of requests we got for boards to pick out
the best (fun!) projects... and start shipping them.
I actually had a CI20 with me at WutheringBytes on the Saturday, but
was not really in a position to show it and it had not quite made the
streets at that point.

An aside - wasn't one of the most open machines the Lemote mips based
2e or 2f netbook - afaik RichardStallman used one as it was at the
time the only fully open machine I think - not sure if he is still
using it ;-)

The board is open hardware as far as you get the schematic (they are
linked off the elinux.org pages already) - but not presently open as
far as gerbers etc.
 Yes, there are binary blobs for the wifi and GPU, similar to, as you
say, almost all other embedded SoC/boards.

 Graham (Imagination/MIPS).