[oshug] OSHCamp 2016, 3rd & 4th September.

belen barros pena belenbarrospena at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:23:22 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

I've been meaning to submit a talk proposal for OSHCamp for two years now,
so I better do it quick before I forget again :)

I am an interaction designer who works for OpenEmbedded, the embedded Linux
build system (openembedded.org). This is probably a weird sentence, but in
a good way. Over the past 4 years OpenEmbedded has put a lot of effort into
improving the ease of use of their tools by bringing in user-centered
design approaches.

The result of those efforts is something called Toaster, a web interface to
the OpenEmbedded build system that makes remarkably easy to produce custom
Linux distributions for your favourite boards. Well, as "remarkably easy"
as something like this can be ;)

The idea would be demoing Toaster, showing how to compile your own Linux
distribution from source with it, and using the activity to introduce the
core concepts of OpenEmbedded. I will hopefully also debunk some myths
about the build system in the process. OpenEmbedded is "infamous" for being
terribly slow and fiendishly complicated. Some of the things I will show in
this talk might somehow contribute towards changing that perception.

I am happy to submit this again once the call for proposals opens
officially, but I thought I'd give you a heads up to see if you think the
talk might fit in OSHCamp.

Many thanks,

Belén