[oshug] OSHWA certification mark: call for ideas

Andrew Back arback at computer.org
Sun Mar 20 11:01:05 UTC 2016

On 18 March 2016 at 11:09, Saar Drimer <saar at boldport.com> wrote:
>> http://www.oshwa.org/2016/03/17/open-hardware-certification-mark-call-for-ideas/
>
> Taking care of the important stuff first! </sarcasm>
>
> Here's what I wrote when the first whiff of that 'certification' folly
> came about back in September...
>
>   http://www.boldport.com/blog/2015/9/22/the-license-is-the-license

Indeed. While undoubtedly well intentioned, it is more than a little
problematic. Not least in the requirement that those using the mark,
submit to being subject to severe financial penalties should they fall
foul of the associated conditions. I cannot imagine this ever getting
past legal counsel at a large organisation.

Andrew