[oshug] OSHUG #47 — Open Source Where You Least Expect It, Thursday 21st April.

Andrew Back arback at computer.org
Tue Mar 22 20:53:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

Registration is now open for the April meeting, details of which can
be found below.

Cheers,

Andrew

//

Event #47 — Open Source Where You Least Expect It

On the 21 April 2016, 18:00 - 20:00 at BCS London, 1st Floor, The
Davidson Building, 5 Southampton Street, London, WC2E 7HA.

  Registration: http://oshug.org/event/47

At the forty-seventh meeting we will take a look at the use of open
source hardware and software in less obvious places.

— Ownership and Gift; Open Source and God; How a Vicar values Open Source

Do we really own anything, or is it a gift? When we try to claim
ownership how does that affect our attitude and our freedom? Does my
choice of software really have a spiritual dimension? How can I give
something back? These are all questions which arise for an
ex-compiler-writing Vicar who wants software which does the job at
hand but also wants to live with integrity and Christian values. In
his talk Rev Peter Salisbury explores these questions through examples
of the way his church uses Open Source software and hardware.

Peter Salisbury was an electronics geek in his teens just as logic
chips first hit the Maplin catalogue. From building computers in a
cupboard he went to study Computation at UMIST, graduating in 1980. He
worked in system tools with Burroughs Machines, then moved to language
design and compiler writing for a Project Management company. In 1989
he moved to Salisbury to study theology in preparation for becoming a
vicar. He was ordained in 1992 and is currently Vicar of Lymington on
the south coast near Southampton. He has never really forgotten he's a
geek.

— Open hardware for open science

Is science open source and should it be? This talk will look at the
current state of open software and hardware in scientific practice.
Example open hardware projects from the worlds of biology, astronomy
and computer science will be presented.

Sarah Mount is a Research Associate on the Efficient Editing of
Homogeneous Programs (Editors4) project. Previously, she was a Senior
Lecturer at the University of Wolverhampton, and before that she held
a number of positions at Coventry University.

— Hacking the atmosphere

The AirPi is an open source board he designed for measuring and
recording air pollution and weather information. Despite its innocuous
goal, that board has ended up in some fairly weird situations — come
along to find out where!

Tom Hartley is a student at Imperial College, currently sitting on the
fence between software and hardware. Prompted by a mysterious
fascination with the Raspberry Pi that lives on to this day, he
developed the AirPi 2 years ago as part of a competition and went on
to sell over 1,000 kits to people who care about the air they breathe.
A devotee of open source, the code he writes and the boards he designs
are all available freely online.

Note: Please aim to arrive by 18:15 as the event will start at 18:30 prompt.

//