[oshug] OSH SSDs

Andrew Back arback at computer.org
Wed Sep 14 19:59:55 UTC 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 20:06, J. R. Haigh <james.r.haigh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> . Does anyone know whether any OSH solid-state drive project has come to
> fruition?

Not that I know of.

> I'd like to get a 512GiB or 1TiB, 2.5in SSD, but I like to support
> OSH projects where possible and I don't like that modern drives have
> processors more powerful than my X60 Tablet, with nonlibre firmware, and
> perform tasks that should be the responsibility of the filesystem, such as
> deduplication, compression, encryption, and wear-levelling.

Agreed, the power they have combined with the lack of transparency is
a concern.

An open source hardware PCB assembly with proprietary silicon and open
firmware would seem plausible. However, a fully open source SoC
complete with all the necessary controllers, would be a different
matter and we're probably some way off having all the building blocks.

> . If there isn't, then at least I'm expressing the interest such that
> someone thinking of making OSH SSDs knows that there's a market for them. I
> currently have an old SSD of about 117GiB (iirc.), so the minimum capacity
> that I'd upgrade to is 256GiB, but I'd much prefer 512GiB or more. I'd hope
> for a price, including shipping within/to Britain and tax, that is not more
> than 1.5× more than nonOSH of equivalent storage capacity.

It's a nice idea in an age where it feels like we have increasingly
less trust for such components. I shouldn't be surprised if we don't
see a crowdfunding campaign for something along those lines soon :o)

Cheers,

Andrew