[oshug] VDSL2 / ADSL2+ Annex M modem recommendations

Andrew Back arback at computer.org
Thu Sep 15 12:45:15 UTC 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 21:40, Michael Dorrington
<michael.dorrington at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On 14/09/16 21:17, J. R. Haigh wrote:
>> if there's an OSH VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem that can show diagnostics then I'd gladly get 3 of them!
>> .     Otherwise, please advise me on recommendations of the freeëst such modem(s) available.
>
> I would like to have that too.
>
> Sadly, as far as I know, the most free solution is to have a non-free
> router/modem in bridged mode for the DSL and then do PPPoE and upwards
> on your free software and free hardware router.

That is what I would suspect also. ISTR that the modem bit tends to be
done using SoCs from Broadcom and the like — vendors not known for the
openness... — with DSP capabilities added to handle the
(de)modulation, which with modern data rates would probably require a
fairly hefty device to achieve the same with a general purpose
processor.

I should also imagine that the DSP firmware is highly proprietary and
probably has to be certified by the Broadband Forum or similar, such
that if you use a non-type approved (expensive process!)
hardware/firmware combination and as a result end up causing nuisance,
the penalty may be high. This is all just a guess and I'd love to be
proved wrong :o)

Cheers,

Andrew