[oshug] OSHUG 65 — Yanking the Chain: open source software compliance in the supply chain, Thursday 22nd March.

Andrew Back andrew at abopen.com
Tue Feb 6 19:23:40 UTC 2018

Details incoming for talk #3:

— How License Compliance Engineering Can be Simplified

When people are confronted with license compliance for the first time it
feels overwhelming because there are many aspects to it: license
scanning of hundreds of thousands of files, complete and corresponding
source code, derivative works and code clone detection, and so on.
Clients often say that they simply do not know where to start.

However, experience demonstrates that license compliance does not need
to be overly complicated, as there are short-cuts that can be taken and
have zero risk, but that will vastly speed up compliance processes. This
talk will highlight a few best practices learned from compliance work
with clients and explain how information from upstream projects can be
used to make the license compliance processes quicker, predictable and
more standardised.

* Armijn Hemel, MSc, is an expert in open source license compliance
engineering. From 2005-2012 he helped enforce the GPL license in Germany
several hundred times as part of the coreteam of gpl-violations.org.
Since then he has assisted companies to come into compliance (including
in recent troll cases in Germany) and is actively involved in advancing
the field of compliance by exploring new topics and tooling.

  Registration: http://oshug.org/event/65

Best,

Andrew

--