[oshug] Building a Crystal Set / Transistor Radio

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Mon Oct 1 14:44:06 UTC 2018

Thank you all for your suggestions. I now have my hands on the
necessary parts for a modern crystal set.

It is clear that there is not really a good modern replacement for
either book: teaching the keen teenager the basics of radio design
using today's technology. I think I have just identified my next work
experience student project :-)

Best wishes,

Jeremy

On 28/09/18 11:42, ExtremeElectronics.co.uk wrote:
> and...
>
> Not forgetting the ubiquitous (well a few years ago)  ZN414 ...
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-TA7642-sim-ZN414-almost-complete-radio-on-a-chip-UK-Seller/372214290343?hash=item56a9b357a7:g:DAwAAOSwALtaeFRe
>

> Derek
>

> On 28-Sep-18 11:40, ExtremeElectronics.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking around there are a number of crystal radio kits
>> available.
>>
>> https://www.brightminds.co.uk/products/crystal-radio-kit
>>
>> You don't need a germanium diode, almost any diode will do, but
>> Germanium diodes (1n34a) are still widely available and due to
>> their lower reverse voltage more sensitive than many other
>> types.
>>
>> There are many small variable caps in the 300-500pf range, just
>> not the (ex military?)  large air spaced transmitting caps that
>> were cheap 30+ years ago.
>>
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-AM-Tuning-Variable-Capacitor-/290981523952

The ear pieces are probably the hardest item to source , but again
>> ebay has a number of sources.
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Sensitivity-Headphone-Earpiece-for-Crystal-Set-Radio-High-Impedance/120788619215?hash=item1c1f900fcf:g:kn0AAMXQY8JRicyH

Derek...